Guwahati - 781039, INDIA
Piles of books....long assignment sheets... bundles of question papers! These are some of the familiar images commonly associated with the word “Academics”. But before you decide to skip this article, let us assure you that there is a lot more to it than that.
Contrary to the popular belief, studies at IIT do not merely mean mugging up of lecture notes and writing them in exam but involve application of mind, understanding of concepts and generating new ideas. All those traits that saw you sailing through JEE will stand by you here as well. Regular classes, tutorials and labs with assignments from time to time will help you to the up to date with your work at all times. Professors are highly qualified and always willing to answer your queries. Besides, you will also enjoy the privileges of interaction with visiting faculties from different parts of the World, who are leading professionals in their respective fields. IITG hosts a beautifully constructed Academic complex that provides a perfect ambience for learning. The labs are furnished with the most modern equipment. Residing in the campus gives you the added benefit to access to the labs, library and a plethora of other facilities outside the stipulated hours. Lecture halls and galleries are equipped with LCD and overhead projectors. And of course, a central library with a wide range of books, latest periodicals and journals caters to the needs and interest of the students.
Besides, the computer centre with internet facilities remains open from 8:00 A.M. to 1:00 A.M. and is a favourite destination for many. Moreover, learning goes beyond the confines of classrooms and labs. Living along with people having similar interests will give you a chance to learn from one another through discussions, interactions and group projects. IIT Guwahati offers B.Tech in 10 disciplines, M.Tech in 6 disciplines, B.Des, M.A in Humanities & Social sciences, M. Sc in 3 disciplines apart from research opportunities in the form of a number of PhD programmes. Down the years, graduates from the IIT Guwahati have left a distinct mark wherever there have been activities. Academics would play a very crucial role in moulding you into the individual that you become by the time you’re ready to leave. Don’t neglect it !
The grading is on a 10-point scale. All courses are given certain credits. The number of credits is twice the number of hours of class you will attend for that course per week. At the end of the semester you will receive the grades in the respective courses based on your performance. Each grade has certain points like 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 for AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, CD, DD respectively. The credits are multiplied by the points and the sum is divided by the total number of credits you have registered for and you get your SPI. The SPI obtained in subsequent semesters would amount to cumulative SPI (CPI). If this sounds jargon, just wait till your first grade card arrives and after that there will be no further secrets.
There is a provision for branch change. This is done after first year and depends on CPI after two semesters. Excerpts from the B Tech/B Des rules and regulations (Clauses 6.1 – 6.9) change of branch are noted below.
1. Only those students will be considered eligible for change of branch/programme after the second semester, who have completed all the common credits required in the first two semesters of their studies in their first attempt, without having had to pass any course requirement in the summer term examination.
2. Students may enlist their choices of branch/programme, in order of preference, to which they wish to change over. It will not be permissible to alter the choices after the application has been submitted.
3. Change of branch/programme shall be made strictly in order of merit of the applicants. For this purpose the CPI obtained at the end of the second semester shall be considered. In case of a tie, the JEE rank of the applicants will be considered.
4. The applicants may be allowed a change in branch/ programme, strictly in order of inter se merit, subject to the limitation that the strength of a branch should not fall below the existing strength by more than ten percent and should not go above the sanctioned strength by more than ten percent.
5. All changes of branch/programme made in accordance with the above rules will be effective from the third semester of the applicants concerned. No change of branch/programme shall be permitted after this.
1. Students may opt for a Minor in a discipline other than the discipline he/she is registered in. Students completing a minor will have the minor mentioned in the degree certificate and in the final grade card.
2. The credit requirements for a minor discipline will be in the range of 30 - 36 credits. The minor courses will spread over the third to seventh semesters of a B.Tech/B.Des programme with one course per semester.
3. Only those students who have completed all the credits required in the first two semesters of their studies with a CPI of 6.5 or above, will be eligible for a minor discipline after the end of second semester.
4. The number of seats in each minor discipline will be as per decision of the Senate of IIT Guwahati. However, a minor discipline will not be available if the number of applicants in that discipline is less than five.
5. Selection to minor disciplines shall be made strictly in order of merit of the applicants.
6. Joining the minor disciplines carried out in accordance with the above rules will be effective from the third semester of the applicants concerned. No change of minor discipline shall be permitted after this.
7. A student with only minor courses remaining as backlogs at the beginning of a semester (other than a summer semester) will be deemed to have completed the B. Tech. programme and he/she will be awarded a B.Tech./B.Des. Degree without a minor.