Internship offers for students of IIT Guwahati during summer vacations between the 6th & 7th semesters for B.Tech./B.Des. and 2nd and 3rd semesters for MSc/MA students will be governed by the rules and regulations as stated below:
1. Any student who wishes to participate in the internship activities (either in India or overseas) will be required to sign an undertaking (a declaration form) within the first four weeks of the 5th semester in case of B.Tech./B.Des. and 2nd semester in case of MSc/MA students before being considered for the internship activities. This form has to be submitted through the respective Faculty I/C of Placement of the departments.
2. There will be a Student Internship Representative (similar to the placement representative) who will coordinate all the intern activities of the students of that department.
3. As soon as a student is selected by a company/organization for internship, he/she will not be considered for any subsequent processes of internship. A student will be allowed to accept only one internship offer, anywhere in India or overseas for all internship opportunities that are routed through the institute.
4. If a student intends to reject a company internship offer in India or abroad after having formally accepted the internship, in order to avail academic internship at the top-tier Universities/Institutes, he/she has to apply for a special permission from the Head, CCD. Such cases will be decided on a case to case basis by the Head, CCD.
5. The No-Objection-Certificate (NOC), if required by the company/organization for an internship within India, will be issued by the Head, CCD. The foreign internship processes will all be routed by the Dean of Alumni Affairs & External Relations (DOAAER) and the Dean of Academic Affairs (DOAA), where an advice/endorsement from the Departmental Faculty I/C, Placement or the DUPC Secretary is essential, so that the department is aware of the application/status of the student.
6. NOC will only be issued for the internship opportunity if the offer/proposal is routed through the institute. Exceptions to the above can be deliberated on a case to case basis.
7. The NOC should explicitly mention that the student has fulfilled his/her academic requirements until now and that IITG has no objection to the student doing an internship during the summer vacation. Further, it should also include that this NOC is being issued at the request of the student and that IITG is not responsible for the supervision of the student or liable for any of his/her actions during the internship period.
8. Students undertaking a summer internship will be required to be present in the campus on or before the registration date for the upcoming semester.