Pre-requisites : CS222, CS223
Syllabus : Introduction to architectural details of 8/16/32 bit microprocessors and its programming. Interfacing microprocessors with devices such as displays, keyboard, DAC & ADC's etc. using programmable chips like I/O ports, timer/counter, keyboard/display controller, DMA controller, Interrupt controller etc. Familiarization with microprocessor developement systems (MDS). Bus standards, IEEE 488, VME, MULTIBUS, SCSI, ISA/EISA, PCI. Selected peripheral devices and their characteristics. Peripheral controller chips, Microcontrollers. Selected applications and design problems.
1. R S Gaonkar, Microprocessor Architecture Programming and Applications, 2/e New Age International Publishers, 1995.
2. Y C Liu and G A Gibson, Microprocessor Systems 8086/8088 family, PHI, 1994.
1. John B Peatman, Design with Microcontrollers, McGraw Hill, 1988.
2. D V Hall, Microprocessors and Interfacing, TMH, 1995.
3. W C Wray and J D Greengield, Using Microprocessors and Microcontrollers, PHI.
4. D Tabak, Advanced Microprocessors, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
5. K L Short, Microprocessors and Programmed Logic, Prentice Hall, 1988.
6. M B Cook and H White Neil, Computer Peripherals, 3/e. London: Edward Arnold, 1995.
7. L F Doyle, Computer Peripherials, Prentice Hall, 1996.