Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Currently, also acting as
Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati
Ambari, GNB Road, Guwahati
email: gb[*AT]iitg.ernet.in, firstname.lastname@example.org
Phones: +91-361-2630015, 2132460 (office), 2452088(res.)
· B.Tech: Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 1976
· M.Tech: Department of Electrical Engineering (Computer Science stream), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 1978
· Ph.D: Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA. (Thesis Title: Demand Based Concurrency Control), 1981.
Visiting Faculty, University of California, Santa Barbara,
Faculty, IIT Kanpur, 1982-1995 (Professor since 1991)
Faculty, IIT Guwahati, 1995 –
Head Computer Centre, IIT Kanpur, 1991-1995
Head Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 1993-1995.
Head Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Guwahati, 1995-2003
Dean Research and Development, IIT Guwahati, 1996-2003
Dean Administration, IIT Guwahati, 1997-2001
Deputy Director, IIT Guwahati, 2001-2003
Director IIT Guwahati, March 2003- August 2013
Acting Director, NIT Silchar (Additional Charge), July 2003 – November 2005
Chairman Board of Governors, NIT Silchar, 2003 – 2012
Chairman Board of Management, NERIST, Itanagar, 2009-2012
Chairman, Board of Governors, Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar, Assam, 2013 – May 2016
Mentor Director, Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati, 2013 -
Members of Boards and Committees (recent)
Member Governing Board, Indian Institute of Banking Management, Guwahati, 2010-2014
Independent Director, Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Ltd (BCPL), 2012 – August 2015
Independent Director, Oil India Limited (OIL), 2012 - September 2015
Member Executive Council and Court, North East Hill University (NEHU), Shillong, 2012-2015
Member Executive Council, Shri Sankardeva University of Health Sciences, Guwahati, 2013-10/1/2016
Member, Governing Council, Insurance Information Bureau of India (IIB), 2012 – 2015
Member Executive Council, Cotton College State University, Guwahati, 2013- January 2016.
Members of Boards and Committees (current)
Member CSIR Society, 2013- April 2016
Chairman, Board of Governors, Central Institute of Technology Kokrajhar, Assam, 2013 – May 2016
Member Technical Advisory Committee, National Knowledge Network (NKN), Govt. of India, 2010-
Director, Assam Electronics Development Corporation Ltd (Amtron), 2012 -
Member Board of Management, NERIST, Itanagar, 2014- August, 2017
Member, Executive Council, Usha Martin University, Ranchi, 2015 -
Member Governing Council, CDAC Pune, November 2015 – November 2018.
Consultant in computer hardware procurement (desktops, servers, network elements, printers, scanners, UPS systems, etc.), computer network planning and acquisition; Data Centre Selection, Disaster Recovery, and Private Cloud planning and implementation; Computerisation of Organisations including: ERP implemenations, Document Management Systems, Security planning, Security and IT audit, Portals, ; E-governance Systems; Consultant to State Governments, PSUs, and Govt. Organisations. Experience working in the power sector, in the insurance sector, and in State Government Finance sector (treasury, tax, registration, budgeting, debt management, HR, transport, revenue).
Linux Kernel internals, database clustering, storage area networks, Virtualization.
Operating Systems: Storage systems, concurrency control, virtual memory, kernel internals
Networking: DDOS, Routing, Pricing.
1. Deepak Gupta, Vice President, AirTight Networks, CA and Pune.
2. Smriti Sinha, Professor, Tezpur University
3. Ashok Singh Sairam, Associate Professor, IIT Patna
4. Lipika Deka, Lecturer, Loughborough University, UK
5. Pallav Dutta, Sr. Scientific Officer, IIT Guwahati
6. Rohit Tripathi, Asst. Professor, IIIT Guwahati
M.Tech Student projects
Completed : approx. 85
B.Tech Student projects
Completed : approx. 80
Member in Professional Societies:
Computer Society of India
Institute of Engineers, India
1. Smriti Sinha, Gautam Barua, An Architecture for Document Production Workflow in an Office , Proceedings of International Conference on Information Technology (ICIT) 1999, December 1999, Bhubaneshwar.
2. Smriti Sinha, Gautam Barua, A Protocol for Secure Flow of Persistent Multi-Part Documents in an Office, Proceedings, of the International Conference on Information Technology and Communication at the Dawn of the New Millenium, Bangkok, Thailand, August 2000.
3. Smriti Sinha, Gautam Barua, Page Cube: A Model for Storage and Retrieval of Documents Relevant to a Document Production Workflow in an Office, Proceedings of the DASFAA 2001, Hongkong, April 2001.
4. P. Hemantha Kumar, Gautam Barua, Design of a Real-Time Auction System, 4th International Conference on Electronic Commerce Research, November 8-11, 2001, Dallas, Texas, USA.
5. Srinivas Palnati, Gautam Barua, Persistent Storage for 64-bit Systems, International Conference on Information Technlogy (CIT-2001), Gopalpur-on-the-sea, India, December 20-22, 2001.
6. Bishal Kumar Lacchirmka, Gautam Barua, Switch Based Traffic Distribution for Web Based Farms, National Communications Conference, Mumbai January 2002.
7. Manish Agarwal, Gautam Barua, Caching of Routes in Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of the 15th Internationl Conference on Computer Communication (ICCC2002), August 2002, Mumbai, India, pp. 768-778.
8. Ashu Razdan, Gautam Barua, Dynamic Management for Enabling QoS in a Campus Network, Proceedings of the 15th Internationl Conference on Computer Communication (ICCC2002), August 2002, Mumbai, India, pp. 119-133.
9. Matulya Bansal, Gautam Barua, Performance of TCP over IEEE 802.11 based Ad hoc Networks, CIT 2002, Bhubaneshwar, December 2002.
10. Gautam Barua, Indraneel Chakraborty Adaptive Routing for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks Providing QoS Guarantees, ICPWC 2002, New Delhi, December, 2002.
11. Matulya Bansal, Gautam Barua, Performance Comparison of two On-Demand Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, ICPWC 2002, New Delhi, December, 2002.
12. Puneet Sethi, Gautam Barua, Dynamic Cluster Management in Ad hoc Networks, HPC 2002, Bangalore, December 2002.
13. Puneet Sethi, Gautam Barua, CRESQ: Providing QoS and Security in Ad hoc Networks, PDP 2003, Italy, February, 2003.
14. R. K. Ghosh, Abhinav Arora, Gautam Barua, Smart Card Based Protocol for Secure and Controlled Access of Mobile Hosts in IPV6 Compatible Foreign Networks, Proceedings of an International Workshop on Mobile Commerce, Bhubaneswar, November 2003, Allied Publishers. Revised version in Advances in Security and Payment Methods for Mobile Commerce, Edited by Wen-Chen Hu et. al., Idea Group Publishing, 2005, Chapter XIV, pp. 312-337.
15. Shravan K. Rayanchu, Gautam Barua, Tracing Attackers with Deterministic Edge Router Marking (DERM), Distributed Computing and Internet Technology, First International Conference, ICDCIT 2004, Bhubaneswar, December 2004 (also published as Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 3347, Springer, 2004).
16. Shyam Antony, Gautam Barua, Lean-DFS: A Distributed File System for Resource Starved Clients, Sixth International Workshop on Distributed Computing, IWDC 2004, Kolkata, December 2004 (also published as Lecture Notes in Computer Science, LNCS 3326, Springer, 2004).
17. Shravan K. Rayanchu, Gautam Barua, Defending Against Slave and Reflector Attacks with Deterministic Edge Router Marking (DERM), Invited Lecture, Proceedings of the National Conference on Communications, NCC-2005, Kharagpur, January 2005.
18. Kotaiah, A. Rama, Gautam Barua, Efﬁcient Metadata Maintenance in Versioning File Systems, Thirteenth International Conference on Advanced Computing & Communication - ADCOM 2005, Coimbatore, India, December 14-17 2005.
19. Ashok Singh Sairam, Gautam Barua, Bandwidth Management Using Load Balancing, First International Conference on Communication System Software and Middleware (COMSWARE 2006), New Delhi, India, January 8-12, 2006.
20. Prateek Mittal, Gautam Barua, Sameer Narang, Defeating Reflector Attacks: Signature Conflict Triggered Filtering, Proceedings Fifth European Conference on Information Warfare and Security (ECIW 2006), Helsinki, June 2006.
21. Ashok Singh Sairam, Gautam Barua, Load Balancing Inbound Traffic in Multi-homed Stub Autonomous Systems, Proceedings First International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS 2009), Bangalore, India, January 5-10, 2009.
22. Ashok Singh Sairam, Gautam Barua, Survey of Bandwidth Estimation Techniques, IEEE International Advanced Computing Conference, Patiala, India, March 6-7 2009.
23. Ashok Singh Sairam, Gautam Barua, Distributed Route Control Schemes to Load Balance Incoming Traffic in Multihomed Stub Networks, Proceedings of the Sixteenth National Conference on Communications, NCC-2010, Chennai, January 2010.
24. Ashok Singh Sairam, Late Ashish Subramaniam, Gautam Barua, Defeating Reflector Based Denial-of-Service Attacks using Single Packet Filters, 5th International ICST Conference on Communications and Networking in China (Chinacomm 2010), August 2010, Bejing, China.
25. Lipika Deka and Gautam Barua, On-line Consistent Backup in Transactional File Systems, First ACM Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APSys2010), August 2010, New Delhi.
26. Ravi Tandon and Gautam Barua, Recovery Protocols For Flash File Systems, The 9th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Internet Technologies (ICDCIT 2013), February 2013, Bhubaneswar.
27. Sharvanath Pathak and Gautam Barua, A Lazy Commit Protocol for Mobile Transactions, Fourth IEEE International Advanced Conference on Computing (IACC 2014), February 2014, Gurgaon, India.
28. Lipika Deka and Gautam Barua, Consistent Online Backup in Transactional File Systems, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Volume 26, No.11, November 2014, pp: 2676-2688.
29. Lipika Deka and Gautam Barua, Implementation and Evaluation of Consistent Online Backup in Transactional File Systems, Computer Society of India Journal of Computing, Volume 2, No. 3, 2013.
30. Rohit Tripathi and Gautam Barua, Dynamic Internet Pricing and Bandwidth Guarantees with Nash Equilibrium, APNOMS 2014, The 16th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium, September 17-19, 2014, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan.
31. Rohit Tripathi and Gautam Barua, Pricing with Bandwidth Guarantees for Clients with multi-ISP Connections, The 16th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN 2015), January 3-5 2015, Goa.
32. Radhika Sukapuram and Gautam Barua, “Enhanced Algorithms for Consistent Network Updates,” IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, November 18-21 2015, San Francisco, California.
33. Rohit Tripathi and Gautam Barua, A Scheme to Provide Network Service Guarantees Using Dynamic Pricing, Under Revision with Netnomics.
34. Radhika Sukapuram and Gautam Barua, “CCU: Algorithm for Concurrent Consistent Updates for a Software Defined Network”, National Conference on Communications, NCC-2016, March 2016.
1. Gurmeet Singh, Gautam Barua, Managing Main Memory Augmented with NOR Flash in Handheld Devices, July 2011, IIT Guwahati Unpublished Report.