HSS courses are offered during the preparatory year, semesters 3, 4, 5 as well as 8. Only preparatory courses are compulsory.
|Course Number||Course Name||L-T-P-C|
|EN 001||Preparatory English 1||3-2-0-10|
|EN 002||Preparatory English 2||3-2-0-10|
Preparatory English I
English communication skills; Basic aspects of language skills, modes of writing,comprehension & composition, pronounciation, vocabulary extension, word order
and structure of words; The fundamentals of grammer; textual pieces for literary appreiciation, non-traditional material; newspaper articles and advertisements.
1. K. Mohan and M. Raman, Effective English Communication, Tata McGraw Hill , 2000.
2. Wren and Martin, English Grammar and Compositions, S. Chand & Co. Ltd., 2001.
3. A. K. Mishra, Avoid Errors, L Bharathi Prakashan, 1998.
Preparatory English II
Forms of literature: drama, poetry, prose, essay and short stories; critical appreciation; letter writing, note taking, communicative skills; idioms and phrases;
1. G. Orwell, Animal Farm, Signet, 1988.
1.- P. M. Roget, Rogets International Thesaurus, Oxford University
2. R. Palgrave, Palgrave-s Golden Treasury, Palgrave, 1994.