MESA, Mechanical Engineering Students' Association, one of the earliest of technical students Association at IIT Guwahati was founded in 2001. The association was given official status by the department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Guwahati on November 8th, 2005. Dr. Niranjan Sahoo is the first official Faculty advisor of MESA appointed by the HOD. Mr. Rahul Swarnkar & Mr. Deepak Kumar were the first President and Vice-President respectively. Right now, we have five different sub-committees which are consistently monitored by the executive committee. Today, MESA with its highly dedicated executive committee under the able guidance of faculty advisor and HOD is committed to achieve its goals.
- To focus on the cutting edge technology and present it to the students in an interesting manner by means of lectures/talk, articles and workshops.
- To bridge the gap between theoretical and practical/field knowledge.
- Promoting the interests of students in various technical areas pertaining to mechanical engineering.
- Giving relevant information to students to sustain their interest in their field-specific applications of ME.
- Providing students of the department with relevant knowledge of other fields, given the inter-disciplinary nature of ME.
- Interacting with other technical societies, within and outside the institute to promote flow of knowledge and interest.
- Providing a platform for interaction between faculty and the students and especially the seniors and the juniors of the department.
- To promote the interaction between academia and industry.
- To encourage novel ideas by means of special projects.
- To organize Seismech – the mechanical engineering fest of IIT Guwahati.