HS 514 Agriculture and Rural Development (3 1 0 8)
Even Semester of the academic year 2009-2010
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Significance of rural development; agrarian question; peasants, capitalism and paths of transformation; agriculture and rural development; Issues in agricultural development- new agricultural technology, tenancy, agricultural marketing; green revolution and appropriate technology; land reforms; agrarian systems and the state; agriculture and rural credit markets-micro-credit; WTO and agriculture; integrated rural development and government programmes; decentralization and participatory rural development.
1. K. B. Ghimire, 2001, Land Reform and Peasant Livelihoods The Social Dynamics of Rural Poverty and Agrarian Reform in Developing Countries, London: ITDG Publications
2. M. Morner, and T. Svensson, 1991. The Transformation of Rural Society in the Third World, London: Routledge
3. A. Shepherd, 1998, Sustainable Rural Development, London: Macmillan Press.
1. M. P Todaro, and S.C. Smith, Economic Development, Pearson Education, 2003
2. G. M. Meir, and Rauch, E.James, 2003, Leading Issues in Economic Development, Oxford University Press
Class Timings and Classroom:
Tuesday: 9.00-10.55 a.m.
Wednesday: 10.00 - 10.55 a.m.
Thursday: 11.00-11.55 a.m.
Room Number: 1001
Quiz/Assignments: 20 marks
Mid-semester examination: 30 marks
Final examination: 50 marks
Your grade will be based on your score out of these 100 marks.