- Perumal Alagarsamy received his Bachelors degree in Physics (in 1995) from Madurai Kamaraj University and Master's degree in Physics (in 1997) from American College, Madurai.
- In 1997, he joined as a Junior Research Fellow (JRF) in a CSIR sponsored project in the area of Condensed Matter Experimental Physics in the department of Physics and Meteorology, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur.
- He received Senior Research Fellowship award from CSIR in 2000.
- He received Ph.D. degree from Department of Physics and Meteorology, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, India in 2002.
- He visited as postdoctoral fellow to department of Physics and Center for NanoSpinics of Spintronic Materials (CNMS), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), Daejeon, South Korea during 2001 - 2003.
- Subsequently, he moved to Toyota Technological Institute, Nagoya, Japan during 2003 - 2004.
- In August 2004, he joined Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati as Assistant Professor.
- He received Young Scientist Award from Indian National Science Academy (INSA) - 2005, in the area of Physical Sciences.
- He received Young Scientist Research Award from Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS), DAE, 2005.
- He visited to Magnetic Materials Center, National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Tsukuba, Japan, as a Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellow during May 2007 - December 2008.
- In Feb 2009, he was promoted as Associate Professor.
- He was invited as Guest Researcher from International Center for Materials Nanoarchitectonics (MANA), National Institute for Materials Science, Tsukuba, JAPAN, 2009.
- He received Indira Gandhi Sadbhavana Gold Medal Award 2013 from Global Economic Progress and Research Association.
- In August 2014, he got promoted as Professor.
- He was invited as Research Advisor in Magnetic Materials Unit, NIMS during 2015 summer.
- He received NIMS Global Collaboration Fellowship Program FY-2017 to visit Magnetic Materials Unit, NIMS during August 2017 fror collaborative work.
- He is a life member of magnetic society of India and member of IEEE Magnetic Society. He has been working in the area of magnetism and magnetic materials.