Light plays a vital role in our daily lives and is an imperative cross-cutting discipline of science and engineering in the 21st century. It has revolutionized healthcare, long-haul communication via the Internet, structural health monitoring & instrumentation to name a few; and continues to bring revolutionary changes in terms of technologies for the quality improvement of human lives. On 20 December 2013, the UN General Assembly proclaimed 2015 as the International Year of Light and Light-based Technologies (IYL 2015) to recognize the importance of raising global awareness about how light-based technologies promote sustainable development and provide solutions to global challenges in energy, education, agriculture and health to name a few.
Under the UNESCO New Delhi IYL 2015 celebration for promoting the central role of light in the modern world while also celebrating noteworthy anniversaries in 2015 (from the first studies of optics 1,000 years ago to discoveries in optical communications that power the Internet today), IIT Guwahati is organizing South Asian Workshop on Optics & Photonics, "SAWOP-2015" during November 17–18, 2015. SAWOP will bring together eminent scientists of light-based technologies from eminent educational institutions of SAARC nations. The objectives of the two days’ workshop are to
- ensure an awareness about the impact and importance of light and light-based technologies in our lives, in our future, and for the development of society through a series of popular lectures
- provide a forum for close interaction with internationally acclaimed eminent teachers and researchers
- communicate to the youth population of the country the excitements of creative pursuit of light-based technologies
- to infuse an interest in young brains and to inspire them towards light based engineering, science and technologies and
- disseminate knowledge in optics/photonics and related fields through the contributory/thematic paper presentation.
This workshop will offer a unique platform to the young participants as well as established academicians to excel with memorable learning experiences through the hang-out sessions with eminent global scholars. Specifically, workshop will comprise popular lecture series sessions to bring salient features of light based technologies that have greatly revolutionized every aspect of human life; contributed/thematic paper presentations; scientific model exhibition to highlight light in various science and technological applications; and close-room direct interactive sessions. In addition, a quiz completion will also be organized comprising students teams of various academic levels.
We look forward to your participation to make the workshop a grand success and to welcome you at IIT Guwahati.