MA572 Numerical Analysis L-T-P-C:3-0-0-6
July-November Semester, 2008, Instructor: Swaroop Nandan Bora
Lectures: Tuesday 0900-0955, Wednesday 1000-1055, Thursday 1100-1155 Room No.: 1104
Thursday, 14 August: Friday Timetable (no theory class, but extra lab)
Monday, 18 August: Wednesday Timetable (extra class)
Friday, 31 October: Tuesday Timetable (no lab, but extra theory class)
Definition and sources of errors, Propagation of errors, Backward error analysis, Sensitivity and conditioning, Stability and accuracy, Floating-point arithmetic and rounding errors. Nonlinear equations, Bisection method, Newton's method and its variants, Fixed-point iterations, Convergence analysis. Newtons method for non-linear systems. Finite differences, Polynomial interpolation, Hermite interpolation, Spline interpolation, B-splines.
Numerical integration, Trapezoidal and Simpson's rules, Newton-Cotes formula, Gaussian quadrature, Richardson Extrapolation IVP: Taylor series method, Euler and modified Euler methods, Runge-Kutta methods, Multistep methods, Predictor-Corrector method Accuracy and stability, Solution for Stiff equations BVP: Finite difference method, Collocation method, Galerkin method.
Texts / References:
1. M. T. Heath, Scientific Computing: An Introductory Survey, McGraw Hill, 2002.
2. S. D. Conte and Carl de Boor, Elementary Numerical Analysis - An Algorithmic Approach, 3rd Edition, McGraw Hill, 1980.
3. K. E. Atkinson, Introduction to Numerical Analysis, 2nd Edition, John Wiley, 1989.
4. C. F. Gerald and P. O. Wheatley, Applied Numerical Analysis, 5th edition, Addison Wesley, 1994.
5. R.L. Burden and J.D. Faires, Numerical Analysis, 7th Edition, Thomson, 2002.
MA582 Numerical Analysis Lab L-T-P-C:0-0-3-3
Timing: Friday 1400-1700 hours, Lab Tutor: Not allotted yet
The lab will consist of the programming assignments from the topics covered in the course MA572 Numerical Analysis.
Software Support: MATLAB
MA 572: Mid sem (September 27): 25 marks, End sem (November 27): 40 marks
Quizzes (Three) : 25 marks
(Quiz 1 - August 26 (10 marks), Quiz 2 - October 31 (8 marks) , Quiz 3 - November 20 (7 marks))
Oral: 10 marks (date to be decided later)
MA582: Mid-term Evaluation-September 19, End-term Evaluation-November 21.