Chapter Activities: 2016 - 2017
Light: not a Light Matter - a Students' Symposium (LLM-2016)
(Optics Outreach III - Dibrugarh University)
12th November, 2016
The event named as "Light: not a Light Matter - a Students' Symposium (LLM-2016)", is in the form of an optics outreach camp in one of the premier institute of upper assam, with an aim to ignite the young minds with the knowledge on optics and its related areas. ‘LLM-2016’ is a window of opportunities for all budding physicists from the beautiful town of Dibrugarh to nurture their scientific skills and gain a unique experience and background in commonly used optical devices. Students will develop a deeper understanding of how these technologies use light and also how optics interfaces with other disciplines. The symposium shall offer myriad opportunities in the form of lectures by eminent physicists, tutorials, optics quiz, science model exhibition, etc. that may boost their career in Optics.
Plenary Talk on Quantum Nature of Light & Entanglement by Prof. Ajoy Ghatak.
Abstract: The talk will briefly discuss the evolution of various theories of light which eventually led to the quantum theory and concepts associated with it. It will also discuss entanglement and a very simple derivation of Bells inequality.
Prof. Ajoy GhatakMeghnad Saha Fellow,
The National Academy of Sciences,
Prof. Ajoy Ghatak is currently Professor Meghnad Saha Fellow of NASI (The National Academy of Sciences, India). He received his B. Sc from Agra College, M. Sc from Delhi University and PhD from Cornell University. After a short tenure as a Research Associate at Brookhaven National Laboratory, he joined IIT Delhi in 1966. Professor Ghatak has research interests in Fiber Optics & Quantum Mechanics. He has authored several books including his undergraduate text on OPTICS which has been translated to Chinese and Persian, the 6th edition of this book has been published recently. His other books include Quantum Mechanics: Theory & Applications (co-authored with Prof. S. Lokanathan), Fiber Optics, Lasers (both coauthored with Prof. K. Thyagarajan) and a popular book on Albert Einstein: A Glimpse of His Life, Philosophy & Science. He is recipient of the 2008 SPIE Educator award in recognition of “his unparalleled global contributions to the field of fiber optics research, and his tireless dedication to optics education worldwide…”; the 2003 Esther Hoffman Beller award (instituted by The Optical Society of America) in recognition of his “outstanding contributions to optics education…”; International Commission for Optics 1998 Galileo Galilei award and also the CSIR 1979 S. S. Bhatnagar award for “outstanding contributions in physical sciences”.
- Plenary Talk - by Prof. Ajay Ghatak
- Invited Lectures on Optics/Photonics
- Tutorials on Optics/Photonics
- Quiz on Optics/Photonics
- Science Model Exhibitions
- School/UG/PG students who have keen interest and want to explore more on optics and photonics to determine whether these fields might be their choice of career are encouraged to apply.
- The quiz competition is open to 11th, 12th, B.Sc/B.S., B. Tech/B. E. and M. Sc Students.
- The Model Exhibition is open for all.
- All the attendees have to register for the event.
- Interested participants can register either Online or Offline (doc | pdf).
- In case of offline registration, first scan the duly filled application form and then mail us at email@example.com.
- In case of any discrepancy please contact:
Mr. Biswajit Pathak
President, SPIE IIT Guwahati Student Chapter
Department of Physics
IIT Guwahati, Guwahati - 781 039
- For online registration please clik on the link bellow.
- You can also apply through your Smart Phone.
Rang-Ghar (Dibrugarh University Auditorium), Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh, Assam - 786004
- Last date of registration:
- Participants intimation date:
- Event date:
Download Poster of Plenary Talk
Download Programme Schedule
Download List of Tentative Selected Participants
- Mr. Biswajit Pathak (IITG)
- Mr. Koushik Paul (IITG)
- Mr. Prahlad K. Baruah (IITG)
- Mr. Rahul Kesarwani (IITG)
- Mr. Santanu Konwar (IITG)
- Ms. Bijita Sarma (IITG)
- Ms. Ashamoni Neog (D.U.)
- Dr. Amarendra K. Sarma (IITG)
- Dr. Kanhaiya Pandey (IITG)
- Dr. Kalyan Bhuyan (D.U)
- Dr. A. T. T Mostako (D.U)